Sunday, August 15, 2010

End of summer

I find it rather annoying that the Juj starts back to school tomorrow. Now, I know - he's in day camp at his school all summer, what's so different about dropping him off at 8:30 and picking him up after 5, just like most days this summer?

Well, for one thing, he's going to start to spend the first half of his day in upper elementary, so we actually have to get him dropped off by 8:30 AM, a feat we have not managed to do on a consistent basis for the first two years he's been at this school. (It's Montessori, they work at the their own pace, what's the big deal...um, 'parent fail' rationalization anyone?)

But also, I've taken off a fair amount of days this summer, between vacation I carried over from the old job, and furlough time, and this new job doesn't allow you to carryover vacation from one fiscal year to the next, so I've got to 'use or lose it' by the end of September.

So it's been a somewhat loose summer for both Juj and I, and now, sadly, it's at an end. No more long weekends, no more weeks off. This is an extra big shame, since it is not going to start to feel like fall in any way for another month or two. And they go and close the city pools, because the kids (including lifeguards) go back to school in another week.  And it just makes me sad. And hot. Which I really dislike.

Although once it really gets to feel like autumn, that's another story altogether - my favorite time of the year...and the run-up to the busiest time. Although this summer, this year, the past two years I'd say, it hasn't felt like there's been anything except the busiest time of the year.

(OK, that was just a nonsensical rant. I'll tell you about what we ate and saw and ate and ate during our few days off in San Antonio this past week another time.  Happy Fall...bwah, ha, ha!)

No comments: