Picture if you will...
A 40-something mother of one, whose flight from a week-long business trip to Canada had landed at midnight Friday. She and her only progeny have a great time during the prearranged Saturday play date with the W kids, and in the early afternoon, return them to their rightful mother, who kindly invites all in although the shower she is hosting has not completely wound down yet.
And then only-child mom, who has never dealt with the energy and logistical challenges of three kids at once (e.g., at the mall play area, one has to go to potty, which requires herding all three upstairs to the family restroom and making sure none escape until all are done), plops on the couch between, yes, two mommies of three, at this fete for a soon-to-be mother of four, and loudly announces she would never have three kids, even were she ten years younger. How incredibly insensitive and stupid is that?
So, Tracey, Amy, and Debbie -- what I really meant to say is: What incredible superwomen you must be! And my hat is off to you all!
(Of course, the G-man said "Just tell 'em you're old, and can't be held responsible." I think that might be a bit disingenuous, 'though.)
4 comments:
LMAO
I missed that part
it never came up in coversation, so I don't think it even registered
love you (as always) for your honesty though
love you even more for saving my hiney and watching my two so I could host the shower in peace.
Oh puh-leeze D.
I believe my response to you was, "That is because you are smarter than all of us!"
And I meant it.
I am the QUEEN of saying crap and then thinking "Oh, wait, not everyone's mind works the same as me and that could conceivably be construed as offensive. Oh shit"
It didn't register in the least as something bad. Trust me. And I believe I can confidently speak for Amy and Deb on this one as well.
And FWIW, my mom had my sister and I in her early and mi-20s, and then had my brother just a few months shy of her 40th birthday. And it was a whole different ballgame. Her constant refrain was "I'm too old and tired for this shit". AND she had two teenagers to help her mommy, so I can only imagine how it is having your first and only at that age!
And that boy is now a freshman in college and keeps her young. So chin up and truly, seriously, NO offense taken.
thanks, ladies -- i feel much better now! ;-)
Okay, I just now read this and am enjoying a laugh.
Because I've been nursing this pang of guilt since Saturday: I remember seeing Di. And I remember saying hi to Di.
But I DON'T REMEMBER SAYING GOOD-BYE TO DI. How incredibly rude, right? I mean, what must she think of me?! Arrghh.
In the midst of all this, I have absolutely no recollection of your comment, even though I know I was sitting right beside you, and can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that no offense was taken.
Tra-la! Now we can both quit feeling guilty for no reason. I love a happy ending. :)
Post a Comment