Sunday, January 20, 2008

The perfect ending to a perfect weekend...

The doc called Friday evening -- whatever I had was run of the mill, so no heavy duty antibiotics for me -- yippee! I'm feeling better anyway.

Saturday, Gil finished the new "china cabinet." It looks fabulous, and we both got motivated to move a bunch of stuff into it, which led to even more cleaning and arranging. For those of you who know us, there is nothing on top of the ovens and 'fridge now -- for those of you who don't know us, just realize the ones who do are fainting in surprise at that news. Julian and I played at the park (in the c-c-c-cold wind) for an hour, too, followed by Starbucks -- where adding cinnamon dolce syrup to a kid's hot chocolate gives you a fairly authentic tasting Mexican chocolate.

Today, we all got up early. Gil baked communion bread (yes, apparently the dough does freeze well, per an experiment we started in November) and went to church, and Juj and I had breakfast burritos, followed by grocery shopping and a trip to Ikea to play in Smal-land (J) and return the extra parts we had leftover from the great china cabinet construction job as well as picking up a couple of extra dining chairs (me), so that dinner parties for eight no longer require pressing both of the home office chairs into service. BTW, that whole Smal-land thing, where you can drop your kids off at the supervised play area while you shop for up to an hour for free -- best thing since sliced bread!!

We hooked up with Dad, hit Costco and the panaderia, and came home for a whirlwind of cleaning and cooking. Dinner for eight estilo familia was a hit, and then I did the bath and bedtime duties while Gil entertained our guests and then cleaned up (let's hear it for the Dad!)

And the moment that got me was when Julian, who'd finished a little rocking and lullaby time (medley of Irish ditties, Sound of Music ballads, topped off with Elvis and "You Are My Sunshine" -- my singing may be off-key but it's eclectic) and was getting snuggled into his Star Wars sleeping bag, sleepily said: "I'll love you for always, Mommy." and then fell aleep. Those are the moments we live for, eh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and living through each other's moments as well. such sweetness.

000 said...

sweet little man.

your day sounds wonderful and fun and the stuff of happy memories.

would LOVE to try smal-land, but Ben is too little (too short). Bummer.

Have yet to experience Ikea without two hangers-on. I'm sure it's equally as magical as your weekend.