Sunday, February 17, 2008

in praise of pork...

I was trying to figure out what to make for Sunday supper this week. Just got back from Ottawa, had to teach Sunday school today, and next weekend we co-host "Son of Wine-chester Mystery Dinner" with the W's, serving a wine & dine evening to three other couples to raise money for the church (perfect distribution of responsibility -- we cook, she prettifies with decor and menu, and he chooses and supplies the perfect wines). And we're leaning towards a retro menu to include beef Wellington and baked Alaska, so it should be a showcase.

But this weekend is all about ease and family. I thought I might just make a seafood chowder, but then I got to thinking about choucroute garni, in all it's Alsatian porky cabbage perfection. But what to serve on the side, I pondered? So I went back to the food diary -- which we kept in between times we've kept the online records -- and started laughing. the last two times I served it were (drum rool, please): February 12, 1006, and February 18, 2007! Apparently an annual craving. This year, the menu will include:
  • Sauerkraut with...juniper berries, Reisling, smoked ham hock, smoked chicken thighs, garlic suasage, bratwurst, pork chops, maybe a Whole Foods hot dog or two, salt pork and Black Forest bacon
  • My favorite pickled carrots and green beans
  • Pumpernickel with cave-aged Walserstolz and Gruyere
  • Spinach, fennel, and green apple salad with walnuts and honey-mustard-cider vinegar dressing
  • Splenda-ized almond-oat peach melba crumble
The "family", an improv-friendly menu, and lots of pork fat; I'm in my element for sure. Just don't get too close to us for the next 12-24 hours, if you know what I mean. ;-)

No comments: