Saturday, November 01, 2008

How did it get to be November already?

September and October are gone in flash, filled with stressors both fun -- Horizon Women's Retreat, birthdays, anniversary, autumnal and All Hallow's E'en festivities, early voting -- and more mundane -- worrying about our parents' health (as well as my own; however, nothing a little exercise and meditation wouldn't cure), uncertain economy, corporate restructuring, hyper intelligent six-year-old who ranges from tyrannical to heartbreakingly sweet in a blink of an eye. Anyone want to take bets on how few posts I manage between now and the New Year?

All I can say is thank goodness that we "fall back" tonight and Daylight Savings Time finally ends; I need that extra hour of sleep (although I am already wasting here at the computer). That whole right-wing government plot to extend DST that held off until AFTER Halloween was really stupid.

But November holds my two favorite holidays: Thanksgiving -- all the food and family of Christmas without the gift-related anxiety, and my birthday -- just for the cake. And this year, I might just get an early birthday present of an American President I can feel optimistically cautious about. If the weather would just cool down and behave like fall (sweaters, please!), I'd be thrilled.

Tomorrow, I will tackle a vegan meal for the wonderful young ministerial intern at our church and his wife, along with the three of us and uncle Ron. Part of me wanted to stay "pure" all the way, but G-man wanted a little turkey sausage on the side to stir into his stew -- besides, he said, she's not even a vegetarian! So I am going to adapt a couple of recipes slightly to make them vegan (yes, I picked up special margarine as well as soy milk), and serve:
To all my friends and loved ones that I am so bad about staying in touch with: I think of you often, and my early New Year's resolution is to take more time to make sure that you know that. November might seem a trifle premature, but given that we didn't get out any holiday cards last year, this gives me a chance to work on that in pursuit of my resolve. (Is dat English? Never mind, T-Rob, don't answer that!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha!! Trust me, that is advanced rhetoric in comparison to what I hear day in and day out. Happy early birthday! I've never been a fan of November - I'm not really into Thanksgiving, and it always seemed like a filler month between October, always my favorite month in New England (not so much here in Texas)and December with the holiday season. I'm counting down the 3 weeks I have until FIVE WHOLE DAYS OFF FOR THANKSGIVING BREAK!