Sunday, August 08, 2010

What do we do when we're alone?

Not lonely, but having 24 hours without anyone else around, thanks to my dearest husband, who whisked the Juj off to the in-laws for a week before school starts up again. G-man comes back today, and then we'll go get the kiddo later in the week, but for one blissful day, I can do whatever I want without having to worry about when anyone else needs to eat, or sleep, or make noise, or be entertained, or anything!

So what did I choose?

First, a long overdue but admittedly not-that-great chick flick at the dollar movie theater.  Seriously - I paid ONE dollar to see this movie. So I don't have to worry about whether I got my money's worth. And yes, Virginia, this franchise is tied to a lifestyle that I can no longer identify with, even vicariously. And, uh, could we MAYBE keep the mic out of the shots, people? Still, an OK escapist matinee, although glad that I only paid a buck, and that I didn't inflict it on anyone else.

Then, a throwback to my misbegotten hippie youth, by way of dinner at bliss raw cafe & elixir bar. Not only was it totally Berkeley-Oregon-commune in look and vibe and taste, but there was XM Classic Vinyl playing my song(s) the whole time.

I managed to drop a small bundle, despite the fact that there was no steak, lobster or sushi involved. But I really enjoyed it, from the Cordial Sampler (Chocolate Bliss, Goji Paradise, and Hemp Horchata superfood elixirs) to the salad and raw corn bisque, to the OMG delicious decadent chocolate-coconut 'cheezecake' (but also OMG $9? no wonder the dessert menu isn't printed!) and a Noni Fire shot to round things out.

The reviews on Yelp said the seating was outdoors, but there is a little inside "bar" area as well, which did have a modicum of air conditioning. I found the service gracious, and the plates were beautifully presented (sort of in contrast to the laid-back atmosphere). Not entirely sure I'd go back, and I certainly wouldn't inflict it on my family, but I did like it. (Did find some controversial comments about the management online, which turns me off a bit, although who knows which side is telling "the truth"?)

Rounded out the evening with a pilgrimage to Lush. Which just doesn't feel the same since they exploded with stores all over the U.S., but I did pick up a couple of lulling lavender bath bombs and bubble bars, and after 90 minutes of classic Cooking Channel shows (this is what FoodTV used to be!), I took a bath and went to sleep.

And now? A morning of bill paying / budget monitoring, reading the blogs online, then probably a break for exercise and shopping, and then I think I will need to do a bit of office catch-up as well.

Oh, and I'd better clean the cat boxes.

2 comments:

Weintribe said...

I love and adore Bliss-next time, call me!!!

Lady Di said...

Excellent - I need a partner in crime who won't complain!