Saturday, January 01, 2011

Dinners, Old and New

Last night, we sat around watching pay-per-view with Uncle Ron, celebrated when it got to be 2011 in Argentina, and generally had a mellow time. Earlier in the day, Juj and I had been watching Food TV and, although I'm not really a big fan of the Neely's (too perky!), we were too lazy to change the channel when they came on (and that's pretty darn lazy, given that we have a remote). Then J decided that what they were cooking looked so good that he wanted it for diner.  I didn't make the whole menu but we did have:
  • Get Yo' Man Chicken (*wince* see what I mean?)
  • Southern Creamed Corn
  • Steamed Broccoli
  • Whole Foods Angel Food Cake with Berries, Whipped Cream, and Chocolate Ganache (had talked about making chocolate fondue but wasn't in the mood to deal with it after the movie)
This evening, the dinner plan is:
  • Pork Chops (preparation  TBD, perhaps Smothered)
  • Black Eyed Peas (in a sort of super simple Hoppin' John treatment, with bacon but no ham hock)
  • Braised Greens with Bacon
  • K & Paul's Corn Bread (close to this but slightly different in The Prudhomme Family Cookbook; I make a half recipe in a preheated cast iron skillet)
  • Butter Lettuce with Oranges, Avocado & Shallot Vinaigrette (a Zuni Cafe Cookbook craving based on tasting the Cara Cara oranges now in season at the grocery store, but perhaps an odd note in this menu - may need to save it for Sunday - also neglected to buy any shallots - oops!)
  • Leftover Angel Food Cake, or maybe Immaculate Baking Co. Gingerbread Cookies
So the new year will be off to a comforting (and porky) start...

No comments: