Sunday, January 02, 2011

Reduce Resolutions, Increase Consciousness

I know that to be effective, you are supposed to make SMART (Specific-Measurable-Achievable/Actionable-Realistic-Timebound) resolutions / goals, and then monitor and chart your progress, celebrate your successes, forgive/overcome your setbacks, etc.

But seeing things in black and white is actually one of the traits I'd like to reduce in myself, so I've decided to just write up some guideposts that I can use instead - and if I can be more conscious (mindful) of my actions and reactions, then I can use the guideposts to assess my next re\action.

(Although I might still chart my weight / exercise progress - you can't control what you don't measure, whatever it was that they always attribute to Demming.)

will this Increase:
  • Health
  • Life balance
  • Physical activity / exercise
  • Joy - mine or someone else's
  • Quality time with Gil or Julian
  • Meditation / reflection / prayer / quiet time to know myself
  • Productivity - good enough, not perfect!
  • Punctuality
  • Number of *small* healthful meals I eat today
  • Fruit & veggie consumption
  • Hydration (water on the inside, moisturizer on the outside!)
  • Time blogging / writing
will this Reduce:
  • Weight
  • Stress
  • Financial (and/or karmic) debt
  • Clutter
  • Being late
  • Mental over-activity / mental exhaustion / monkey mind / pointless wheel spinning / worry
  • Amount of sugar or over-processed food I consume today
  • How much I eat at this time
  • My spot in the food chain (less meat!)
  • Time wasted pointlessly online (yes, that Twitter / FB / Angry Birds time!)
Might add to this later, but it's a good start.

No comments: