The start of our second annual road trip with the Weintribe. We drove across East Texas, through Louisiana, and across the mighty Mississippi to Vicksburg the first night, stopping at the Bonnie & Clyde Ambush "Museum" in some little town in Louisiana on the way. The dads toured the one-room museum since the content was not exactly child-friendly, and Jen and I took the kids to the town square and watched a train roll by -- much to little Ben's delight (he is a BIG fan of trains!) Then we drove out to the site of the final stand-off (thank you, GPS!)
We had not made any hotel reservations before leaving (other than the rental beach house we were heading for), so at our lunch stop in Canton, TX, I was calling various hotels in Vicksburg. I called a wrong number that turned out to be a great find -- the Cedar Grove Inn, a bed and breakfast in a mansion from the 1840s, including some additional cottages and a carriage house converted to two-room suites. So we each had a suite with a room for the parents connected to a second room with a daybed and trundle. Sam stayed with us for a sleepover (although I ended up sleeping with her and Julian, since he is still not so good about sleeping alone). And the price was right!
Dinner was at a restaurant recommended by a friend with the first-hand knowledge and the right connections. It was "round table dining" where they brought us a BUNCH of Southern home cookin' dishes served family style: coleslaw, stewed greens, candied beets, squash casserole, chicken-n-dumplings, fried chicken, chicken fried steak, pork chops, smothered chicken, some kind of spaghetti casserole, spiced peach cobbler, and I can't remember what else... Needless to say, we did not go to bed hungry!
No comments:
Post a Comment