Friday, August 29, 2008

Why I'm a yellow dog Dem...

At lunch one day a year or so ago, with my boss, and his boss, the VP of my division, we got off onto politics briefly.  At the time, I was too tongue-tied to succinctly explain why I am a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat.  

But I've thought about it a lot since then, and it is succinct:  The Democrats are the party of inclusion.  It's not about scrambling up the ladder, so that you can pull it up behind you; it's about putting out a hand to help another up with you.

I'm sitting here watching the CNN.com re-run of highlights from last night's DNC, and it's so easy to see, as they move from Tim Kaine to Bill Richardson to Barack Obama.  How's that for a study in contrast?  It's a core value that they have in common -- a belief in social justice and responsibility. We don't assume that a rising tide raises all boats, we make sure that those with leaky boats or no boat at all are not drowned.  And that contract includes making sure that there is a healthy Earth in place for our children's children's children.  (OK, so shoot me for mixing metaphors.)

And that's why, I hope no one is fooled by McCain's choice of Palin.  Just because someone is not a privileged white man does not mean that that someone represents inclusion and social justice (C. Rice, anyone?)  Barracuda Sarah is from the party who drinks all the juice and doesn't leave any for anyone else.  

And while I was rooting for a woman in the White House that wasn't a First Lady (well, OK -- if it was on her past resume, I'd forgive that!), I'm willing to wait until that woman can represent the values I hold dear.  That is part of the change that I hope the Democratic ticket this year can help open the door for in the future. 

OK, off the soapbox now.  Good to get that off my chest!

No comments: