Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Illusion of Control

I've got a post in the works on my thoughts around developing my happiness project, but it's long (perhaps several separate posts), and a bit dry. And other thoughts are uppermost in my mind at the moment.

It's a rough patch right now. My father-in-law is struggling with a major health issue. On a much lesser scale, I am still trying to find my way in a new job with a new culture, new boss, new co-workers, new expectations to suss out. I know other people who are working through challenges right now too.

One thing that has been interesting to me during this is the various ways of staying "on top of things" when circumstances / feelings / situations seem to be -- or, to give the universe its due, ARE -- out of our control. Someone I know does more push-ups. I've been trying not to let my eating get the upper hand, and in lieu of chocolate for breakfast, lunch and dinner (mostly), have been making up new vegetable dishes that I can more or less eat with impunity.

Apparently I feel in control when I can reduce a big ol' eggplant and half a bulb of fennel to a soft saute with lots of deliciously caramelized bits and then nosh on it for a couple of days. Or roast a pan full of cauliflower with peas, turmeric, and mustard & cumin seeds.

That and going to bed really early. Cuddling the Juj to sleep is still pretty relaxing, when I can turn off the monkey mind.

Now if only I could harness that need to be in control of something into actually doing some more exercise (and yes, I know it would make me feel better on so many levels), THEN we'd really have a positive outcome. Lemonade from lemons and all that.

P.S. Apparently my control thing doesn't extend to housework either; just realized I have no clean bras to wear tomorrow.

No comments: