Is it hard sometimes? Yes. After all, even video games have to be challenging enough to keep one's interest without frustrating one into quitting.
Does familiarity breed contempt? Not contempt, but forgetfulness sometimes. Forgetting to speak to my husband at least as civilly as I would speak to the bagger at the grocery store. Forgetting to appreciate the ties that bind us.
Like an abiding sense of family first (even the crazy ones), an ironic but not cruel sense of humor, a belief that people are good and deserve to live decently, an amazing kid who will probably end up smarter than both of us, a love of good food, big hugs, knowing that diversity has value and therefore differences are to celebrated.
Things like the fact that you helped me learn to love jazz, and blue cheese, and spinach, and mushrooms. And that ribeye is not 'just meat'! That I introduced you to the Grateful Dead. That we would skip college classes to go to Disneyland together.
That although we both had lives before we met, we really have grown up together. Watched our friends and families get married and have children before going there ourselves. That we lived and worked together and apart in multiple states and countries over the years.
That thankfully you are good with care taking, and I am good with the checkbook. That we both prefer cats to dogs.
That you have soft skin and an even softer touch, soulful brown eyes, and strong arms. That you like women, even the strong ones, even the neurotic ones. That you are a great dad, and not just because you changed a helluva lot more diapers than I did.
So here's to many more years together, loving, arguing, cooking, watching movies, going shopping, reading the NY Times in bed again once Juj goes to college, and who knows what other domestic or exotic adventures. I love you, baby!
No comments:
Post a Comment