Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Back in the Day...

I've really been enjoying the satellite radio in my car.  I know the three months free that came when I purchased the car is just to 'suck you in' - but it might just do it.

You see, before I became an overpaid corporate hack who spends her day doing VLOOKUPs and pivot tables in Excel, I was in the entertainment business on the West Coast. Well, actually in the low paying, part-time teaching, touring with dance companies, sometimes doing industrials, business of lighting design and production & stage management for colleges and summer stock. And over the years, I worked on a fair number of musicals.

So, when I discovered the XM-Sirius Broadway channel, I was hooked. And it seems like they're playing a lot of Sondheim, which I didn't appreciate quite as much in my youth as I do now "in my middle years." Now, when I unload my car after work, gathering up my purse, and laptop, and lunchbox, and J's lunchbox, and whatever other gear has been required for the day, I am likely to be singing Another Hundred People or some such at the top of my lungs. (Hope it bemuses the neighbors; it's not like I have much of a singing voice.) And I have fun explaining the shows to Juj, because he loves to read the scrolling  Info screen on the radio from the back seat.

The real question is: does this mean I miss it enough to get involved in community theatre? Probably not; I've always been kind of a snob about that, even back in the day, and I certainly do NOT miss working evenings and weekends. But I do sigh every now and then, and think that perhaps I should at least go see some live theatre.

P.S.
On re-reading this, I realize that reminiscing for "the good old days" is a sure sign of encroaching middle age. *sigh*


Oh, and I've decided that Glee should do a Sondheim themed show next season - come on, guys, whaddya say?

No comments: