Saturday, June 19, 2010

Lunch ideas?

I was out perusing web sites this morning, updating my "Cool Links" area (which hadn't been changed since I started this blog, almost three years ago) and thinking about lunch.

I'm struggling with some food dilemmas, mostly lunch related. Now that I work at an office without much of a cafeteria, I take my lunch most days. Which affords me the opportunity to eat more how I should be - heavy on the vegies, with legumes & whole grains, and more of a grazing, mini-meals pattern (as opposed to one big lunch). And the G-man and I have come to the realization that the Juj is not eating enough roughage *ahem*.

So I want some ideas for better lunching. Things that are delicious and balance nutrition with convenience. Currently Juj and I both eat a fair amount of microwave meals, and while mine tend towards some of the yummy Kashi vegetarian and chicken entrees, my preferred selection is kind of limited, and Juj has narrowed his choices down to Whole Foods enchiladas or chicken taquitos.

And for him, there is the added limitation of NO NUT PRODUCTS! I understand about other kids having nut allergies, but the fact that this means I can't ever rely on the standby PB&J in my kid's lunch? Is kind of annoying. Plus I can't pack a few raw almonds (which he likes, and which are a daily component of my at-work eating kit) as a snack for him. Also annoying.

So, I checked out some new web sites this morning, and I hope to get inspired before I go grocery shopping tomorrow. If anyone has any great ideas -- we both have access to a microwave, I have a fridge & freezer at the office but J's food has to get by with an insulated "box" and ice pack, and no nut products for him -- feel free to share.  I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: